script> Africa Moto: City Guide: Ouaga, Burkina Faso

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

City Guide: Ouaga, Burkina Faso

At first glance Ouaga looks just like Bamako, my home for over two years. But when you look closer, you see that there are some clear differences between the two places.Ouaga is more laid back, the first thing I noticed when we crossed the border were people openly hanging out and having some beers including the women, you don't see that much in Mali. Next thing I noticed was the large number people riding bicycles instead of mopeds, which was welcome change. I would call Ouaga the more bohemian version of Bamako, which reminds me that I need to do a post about Bamako.

When the elected government in Mali was overthrown by a military coup in late March, my family was evacuated to Ouagadougou, in Burkina Faso and then back to the States. Don't you just love the name Ouagadougou, I know its a mouth full, but I just love saying it.Ouaga-dou-gou...

Here my picks for Ouaga:

Stay

Stay at the : Karite Bleu, a cute, small boutique hotel with a nice garden and rooms decorated with African art near the international school.





Eat

Eat at  Espace Gondwana restaurant and art gallery, which is just around the corner from the Karite Bleu. It   offers good food, beautiful decor and lovely ambience. The space is made up of six different rooms named after west African ethnic groups: Gourounsi House, Toureg Tent, Mauritanian Tent, The Small Toureg Tent and The Garden  and Puelh Space. The owner is an avid art collector, and all the African artwork is for sale.


 Shopping

For one stop shopping and to get great prices on great arts, crafts and handicrafts check out the Village Artisanal de Ouagadougou, there are over 500 artisans and workshops and is pretty low pressure environment. I picked up some hand woven fabric, beautiful jewelry and handmade leather hand bags.



Have you been to Ouaga, what are your picks?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...