script> Africa Moto: Fashion: Sunbird Collection on the catwalk

Monday, June 18, 2012

Fashion: Sunbird Collection on the catwalk


Happy Monday! While I am working behind the scenes figuring out what next for Sunbird Collection, my ethical clothing and nursery decor company, I thought I would finally share some of the design work I did while I was based in Bamako, Mali.   

I created the pieces below as part of my Spring/Summer 2012 collection "classic meets Bamako" that I showed at the Chris Seydou Fashion Week at the Musee National in Bamako last November. Chris Seydou is the late Malian fashion designer who paved the way for emerging African fashion designers by putting contemporary African designs on Paris catwalks in the 80's and bringing bogolan textiles to the world stage. The textiles I used for the collection included handwoven bogolan, linen, printed cotton and dip-dyed cotton.

The fashion show, including my little red dress, was featured in the February-March 2012 issue of New African Woman, Femme Africaine, a Paris based magazine. It was fantastic to be featured in the award winning magazine, particularly in an issue that was jam packed with fabulous la mode, la mode, la mode from around the continent.









I would love to continue to collaborate with the fabulous artisans I worked with in Mali, but I'm unsure I can, given that I cannot go back there yet due the current political crisis. I am exploring working with textile artisans in other parts of Africa particularly back home in Zimbabwe and here in the U.S. While I figure it all out, do feel free to check back here for more Sunbird Collection news and updates.

Photography: Sebastien Rieussec

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...