script> Africa Moto: Art & Culture: Sante Fe International Folk Art Festival

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Art & Culture: Sante Fe International Folk Art Festival

The Sante Fe International Folk Art festival is here and starts tomorrow! It's expected to have a huge turnout. I wish I was going, there is so much I would have loved to see, can you imagine all those quality international arts and crafts in one place. I die! My favorite world arts and crafts magazine HAND/EYE will be there too.  It would be like being transported to all those different countries by the crafts while still being right here in the US. Just too many balls in the air right now though with our life changes. I encouraged my friend's niece who is in New Mexico for the summer and studying International Relations (my major!) in college to volunteer, hope she took my advice. Last year's market had over 20,000 visitors including buyers from West Elm and Donna Karan, and the artists made over $2.3 million dollars in sales, now that's commerce in action.


Here are some of my favorite African artisans showing at Sante Fe this weekend that you must see:

   The Roots Project from Juba, South Sudan with their beaded jewelry. The picture above is of a Dinka beaded corset.

   Touareg jewelry from Moussa Albaka a silversmith from Agadez, Niger. 

Esther Mahlangu ("mama Esther") a talented Ndebele artist will be there. I simply love and respect her art work. She did a wonderful collaboration with Melissa, a Brazilian shoe brand that was featured on the blog She Breathes. I still want those shoes.

           and Aboubakar Fofana from Mali with his indigo designs. Totally regret not going to check out his workshop in Mali. My friend, a Canadian textile designer who interned with him called him "the master". Now that's quite the statement..

Well enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...