Friday, July 13, 2012

Fashion: Afrofashion


   That's the designer Munnie in one of her designs.
  
Over two years ago, my French teacher in Bamako introduced me to a Malawian fashion designer, Mehmuna "Munnie" Schumann. I had been harassing him about sourcing fabric and finding tailors and using every French writing exercise opportunity to write about my proposed fashion and accessories venture. He finally gave in and said I think I need to introduce you to one of my new students, a fashion designer!

So fast forward and I finally meet Munnie, one of the warmest, creative and free spirited people you will ever meet. We became friends fast and were soon running around discovering the Malian fashion and textile landscape together. Planning fashion shows including the Centre Cultural Francais show that was scheduled for the end of March that didn't end up happening because of the political situation, shopping for trim and fabric at the Grande Marche and discovering the best traditional weavers, dyers and tailors. It wasn't always fun, we made some mistakes along the way but we learned a lot on the journey of making our products locally and ethically. Her clothes are produced at her atelier in Bamako, Mali and in Malawi.

So I am so excited that my girlfriend Munnie will be showing her brand Afrofashion, inspired by the beauty of Africa at the Africa Fashion Week London next month. I hope those of you across the pond in Londontown will check out her show. I am sure it will be a good one!


    (Recognize the model, that's me in a Afrofashion design.)

  At the Santa Marche Fashion show last December.

        Me again, I simply LOVE this afro-modern dress. It's made from bazin, the shiny fabric that all Malians  love, with Afrofashion's signature matte at the bottom.



 For those who can't make it to London, you can check out their website . P.S. they also make wedding dresses!

-Elle

2 comments :

  1. The most noticeable fact of African culture is it's a fair touch of nature what is the key attraction of it. I appreciate this effort because it helps to explore the current trend of the specific country with its natural environment. Thanks for the sketch of your job. Good luck for Munnie!
    designer fashion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louise, thanks so much for taking the time to share your appreciation of African culture. Happy to share.
    Will pass on the well wishes to Munnie!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...