script> Africa Moto: Travel: Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe

Friday, September 14, 2012

Travel: Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe

I can't believe I haven't written about Victoria Falls. Victoria Falls is an amazing city, it really just nourishes you. I simply love it. It was so nice to see that tourists where coming back to Zimbabwe to see the Falls when I returned home earlier this year. There was so much vibrancy in the city again. Tourism numbers were up, and people were coming back. It was so inspiring to see the resurgency of that wonderful small city. The hotels were filled to capacity and people were really just enjoying themselves, like we all did.

 I finally got to take my husband and son to see the Victoria Falls for the first time. It was a fun but crazy trip. We decided since we were home we needed to take the whole family (mom and dad decided to stay back) to come on the trip with us. Giving my husband the experience of what it  really means to marry into a large family. My family's philosophy is the more the better. So there we were, my husband, two of my brothers (my other brother didn't arrive home in time for the trip) and my two sisters, my toddler son and my elder brother's wife, his son and daughter making the long road trip from Harare to Victoria Falls, with a short break in Bulawayo to see family, really interesting.











There is so much to do in Victoria Falls, depending on your interests. For the adventure travelers out there, you can bungee jump off the bridge, you can white water raft in the Zambezi. For something a little more calm, my picks are to take a Booze Cruise on the Zambezi with Shearwater , ride bikes across town or take a helicopter ride over the Victoria Falls. I haven't done the helicopter ride, I think that is for adventure seekers, or maybe not, maybe next time. For golfers, you should check out the Elephant Hills golf course, its a bit out of the way but people rave about it.

To shop you can get some amazing crafts from the outdoor market, curio shops or the Elephant's Walk Shopping Centre. For dinner if you can get a reservation check out Boma restaurant at the Victoria Falls Safari Lodge for local and international cuisine, couldn't get in this time. We ended up going to Mama Africa Eating House which was fabulous. My best place to stay pick is the Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, for its great location, proximity to wildlife at the watering hole from the hotel's balconies and its tree house like architecture. It always gets rave reviews including from Conde Nast Traveler.

Hope you consider visiting Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe on your next vacation!




10 comments :

  1. We wish we had known you were in Vic Falls - we follow your wonderful blog and would have loved to meet you and show you the beautiful African inspired jewellery we make at Elephant's Walk for The Ndau Collection!! Thank you so much for the mention about the centre itself! Maybe you'll be inspired to check out our jewellery... Love from the Elephant's Walk team, Vic Falls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine- thanks SO much for the kind words and reaching out. That means so much to me that you follow my little blog.I checked out The Ndau Collection on Facebook, really beautiful work, kind of Zim design I would love to see on Indagare souk or L-atitude's global bazaar.I look forward to meeting you in person next time we are in Victoria Falls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love your blog and find a lot of your post's to be precisely what I'm looking for. Would you offer guest writers to write content for yourself? I wouldn't mind composing a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write regarding here. Again, awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Shingayi! Let us know when you're next here. We've actually been chatting to Indagare already - love their site. We're off to Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Africa in October, so will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Anonymous, that is so sweet. Send me an email at emusarurwa at gmail.com and we can go from there.

    @ Christie, good luck at the Mercedes Benz Fashion Week, and good to hear that you are already in talks with Indagare.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With havin so much written content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright infringement? My blog has a lot of exclusive content I’ve either authored myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my authorization. Do you know any methods to help reduce content from being stolen? I’d genuinely appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a designer and someone who has worked on IP issues I completely understand your frustration. I handle it by trying to write personal content or finding my angle to what I am writing about. It's easy to get discouraged but I think your readers will start to know your voice and can tell when someone is copying your work. I hope you keep blogging, and do share your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a post! I virtually fell in love with Victoria Falls. Earlier, I just had read about them being the widest of the waterfalls internationally. Just looking for some low priced flights to Victoria Falls hopefully, I’ll be in the city next season. I am just waiting for peak water flow season as it gets slow in winters. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Rober I am so glad I got you to virtually fall in love with the Vic Falls. Yes you are right, that the water does go down in the dry season. I'd say the falls are at their most spectacular after the rainy season (Feb-May), but be prepared to get soaked! Flights are also much cheaper at that time of the year.If you do end up going do feel free to stop by and share your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...